Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 2-4: Class+Roaming Everywhere (June 21-23)

During the pass three days, I have done so much that it is hard to keep straight what I did when.  I have also gone photo crazy and have taken 1,122 photos since I have been in Tokyo (4.5 days).

Classes have been interesting and have covered an array of topics including city regeneration, waste management, urban water systems, and sustainable building materials.  During one lecture, the class worked in groups to create a SWOT analysis of a city.  It was a fun and entertaining experience interacting with one another and exchanging ideas.


Since there is no homework and class is only 1.5 or 3 hours a day, I have had a lot of free time to explore Tokyo.  Having class with the other GSP students, living in the same hotel, and us all being abroad means that we have spent a lot of time hanging out together.  It’s hard to believe that I first met these people only four days ago.  Starting each day around 10:30AM and ending around midnight, within the last three days, we have seen and experienced:
Tokyo Dome City
Marunouchi



sake museum
Otome Inari Jinja Shrine
Akihabara Electric Town










Imperial Palace
Yasukuni Shrine
karaoking



Shinjuku





















Sticking to free attractions and walking where we can, each day is extremely tiring.  I can’t remember the last time I’ve done this much continuous exercising.  Plus, the temperature in Tokyo has been in the 80s-90s (°F).  As if that wasn’t uncomfortable enough, the air is humid.  In addition, it was predicted to rain and have thunderstorms in Tokyo throughout the week.  Luckily, there hasn’t been either, except for very brief light drizzling.  Also, after the earthquake and tsunami back in March, many of the electric signs, billboards, and buildings that are usually lit up are kept dark to save energy, making for a less electrifying experience (haha, pun!).

Four days down, thirteen to go.

2 comments:

  1. Your class sounds fun! I want to go to all of these places! Shinjuku looks so bright! Did you see lots of fashionable people there? I think I like your first picture of the Otome Inari Jinja Shrine the best. Such a pretty picture! *_*

    On the topic of exercising, think about how fit you'll be after you're done with the program! Ahaha, work off all those cookies you ate during the school year! :)

    Did you karaoke too with everybody else? What language(s) were the songs in? More importantly, IS THERE A VIDEO OF YOU SINGING? *cough*

    I lol-ed at your picture of food. Yes, there is no order to my comments. Also, I am not surprised you more than a thousand pictures in 4 days. Not surprised at all.

    Question! How much homework are you given? How do you have time to do it in addition to sightseeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I don't appreciate that cookie comment! But I guess it's true. Yeah, I karaoked too, but there's no video! (not that I'd show it even if there was one) Shinjuku was full of more shady people than fashionable people, but there was some. And we don't have homework. There's only class and then we are free to do whatever.

    ReplyDelete