Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 1: Class+Ueno+Party (June 20)








I’ve only finished the first day and I feel like I’ve been here for at least a week already.  Exploring during the day and attending class in the evening is tiring and strange.  The Sustainable Urban Management course only has 8 IARU GSP students.  Of the ten universities eligible to participate in this program, we have a mix from Australian National University, National University of Singapore, Peking University, UC Berkeley, and University of Copenhagen, with myself being the only American.

Even though I know I’m in a different country, I still forget at times that customs I am use to are not the same for all.  In addition, being asked about American stereotypes is very interesting and funny.  Beyond language, some interesting things I have noticed while interacting with people and being in Tokyo include:
  •         Distance is measured in meters and kilometers instead of feet and miles. (SI units)
  •         Others measure temperature (the weather) in Celsius.
  •         People drive on the opposite side of the road.
    •         I was looking at a car passing by and looked into the driver’s window, but saw only an empty seat.  After a couple seconds of confusion and fear, I realized the driver was sitting on the right side of the vehicle, haha.
  •         Many people ride bikes for transportation around the city.
  •         Americans (college students) are perceived as drunken, party people.
  •         School uniforms in Japan are normal.
  •         The end of June in Japan is their rainy season.
  •         Some subway/metro stations have gates or glass walls between the standing platform and the train tracks.
  •          Japanese people are notorious for being punctual.
  •          UC Berkeley is known internationally and regarded as an excellent school.

Today was packed full of activities.  During the tour around the Hongo campus of UT ("Todai"), I was surprised how green the campus was.  There are trees everywhere and a beautiful lake within the campus.  Their library had everyone in awe, and it made me realize that I’ve never truly appreciated the grandness of Cal’s Doe Library.

For lunch, we ate at one of UT’s cafeterias.  The prices were pretty inexpensive.  If only Cal could have $4 and under meals…



In the Ueno district, there is so much to see, from shops, to shrines, to the Ueno Park.

GSP Todai student guides


Ueno Park











Ameyoko market













The first day of class was interesting and reminded me of my high school AP Environmental Science class.  Even more interesting was the seating/desk set-up.  It was unlike anything I have ever seen.  The first thing that came to mind was the U.S.’s obesity rate and how these desks would pose a problem.

After class, there was a “party” for exchange students held by the UT IRIS club. Also, here’s an entertaining tidbit for those who go to Cal – there is a Japanese drink called “Calpis,” hehe.
Fun times!


Todai and GSP students (left)

View from hotel (right)

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures are sooo pretty, especially the nature ones! I loved your list of observations, and I find it hilarious that we're perceived as drunken party people. It's not actually that far off the mark considering some of the people at our school...

    "The first thing that came to mind was the U.S.’s obesity rate and how these desks would pose a problem." lol forever.

    Remember to stay safe when traveling and take lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete